WhatsApp is the most used messenger in the world – but that does not necessarily make it the best. In this practical tip we will show you which alternatives are worthwhile.
Whatsapp alternative: Telegram
Telegram is one of the top 10 most popular messaging apps worldwide and is also becoming increasingly popular in Us. The Russian-based app has its advantages and disadvantages compared to WhatsApp.
- Independent of platform : While WhatsApp is officially only developed for a few mobile operating systems and can only be used in conjunction with a smartphone on the computer, Telegram can be installed on significantly more operating systems as well as in the browser.
- More functionality : There are some features of Telegram that are not available with WhatsApp. Some of them are the “bots” who can do a lot of tasks, or “secret chats”.
- Telephony security : By default, end-to-end encryption is enabled for calls with telegrams, so your calls remain anonymous.
- Uncertainty in chat : Unlike telephony, end-to-end encryption is not enabled by default in the chat feature. Likewise, this encryption is not activated in group chats.
- Cloud-based system : WhatsApp once deleted data can not be downloaded again, with Telegram (similar to Facebook) everything is stored on the telegram servers. For example, if you have deleted a video received in a group, you can download it again. While this is an advantage, it raises safety concerns.
Signal is a secure WhatsApp alternative that WhatsApp could use to get rid of a few slices.
- Security : Signal advertises with security and encryption within the messenger. Various encryption methods make your messages readable only to you and your chat partner.
- Functionality : Almost all WhatsApp features are also available here. You would not miss certain features when switching.
- Number of users : Unfortunately, the app is not yet widespread, so the number of users is quite low. However, if your privacy is important to a particular chat partner, it’s still worth trying the app.
- Platforms : Like WhatsApp, the app is only available on mobile devices with a phone number. Although there is a desktop app, but this is also available only when actively connected to your smartphone .
Kik is the only messenger in this list that does not run through your phone number but via an email address.
- Privacy : Not everyone who has your phone number saved in contacts can write you a message. For this the Kik user name has to be known.
- Features : Also in this app groups can be joined. These then run again not on the phone numbers, but are found on hashtags and are accordingly public.
- Login : You simply log in with username and password – making the transition to a new mobile phone easier but not necessarily safer.
Also Viber is one of the most successful messaging apps worldwide. In addition to Telegram he is thus one of the biggest competitors of WhatsApp.
- Functionality : Viber is a very feature rich app and offers similar features as WhatsApp and Co.
- Platforms : Even Viber can be installed on many different platforms, but the first registration on a mobile device.
Threema is a messenger that focuses on privacy and security.
- Security : With multiple encryption and no metadata and contacts storage, Threema is one of the best apps when it comes to security. Local backups are also encrypted.
- Use : The app can be used without a phone number and can also be called up via the desktop version.
- Price : For these security features, you pay 2.99 euros on an Android device and 3.49 euros on an iPhone. However, if you rely heavily on encryption then you should consider buying the app.