WhatsApp on smartphones today is what used to be the messenger ICQ for computers and has completely replaced SMS for many users. That’s because the messenger is free. He can do much more. We’ll show you how WhatsApp works.
How does WhatsApp work?
- You are installing WhatsApp on your smartphone (or tablet with SIM). The service is basically free (also international) and available for Android, iOS (iPhone), Windows (Phone) and Blackberry.
- After installation, the service sends an SMS to your specified mobile number to confirm ( verify ).
- WhatsApp automatically detects who is using WhatsApp under your contacts and displays them in a contact list. With people who do not have WhatsApp, you can not communicate via WhatsApp and, for example, have to write a text message.
- Touch a contact to open the associated chat . You can now start writing on it.
- In a chat you tap at the top of the paper clip icon to select and send pictures , music , videos , documents or contact information.
- You can also create a WhatsApp group .
- You can use the calls tab to make calls to your contacts. Unless you or your opposite but not are in your wireless network, but can fees incurred .
- In the Status tab , similar to Facebook, WhatsApp provides status updates with pictures and videos that can then be used to view and comment on other contacts.
- If your mobile device has Wi-Fi coverage or you have a mobile Internet connection, WhatsApp automatically displays if you have a message written to one of your contacts .
Also Read: how to get verified on Instagram for free
Note: If your smartphone is not connected to the internet, you will see the messages sent to you during the time when you reconnect.
Advantages of WhatsApp over the SMS
News & Costs: Since WhatsApp is free, you can send as many messages as you like.
Cost per SMS
Picture and video shipping: Messages are sent via Wi-Fi. This also allows you to send photos, videos and other media.
Only text. No media.
Group chats: With WhatsApp users can also talk in groups.
No groups. Same SMS must be sent to multiple contacts.
How does WhatsApp work technically?
WhatsApp is always active in the background , but do not worry, it consumes almost no battery power . After starting the phone and the first set-up of WhatsApp, the app logs on to the servers of the service via the Internet connection of the smartphone.
If a message or an image is sent, this does not happen via the control channel of the radio signal, as with the SMS, but the data is sent via the Internet . If there is a connection to the mobile internet then the data will be sent over it.
How and where to download WhatsApp?
You can download WhatsApp for Android, iOS, Windows, Symbian, Blackberry and Windows Phone. The necessary app can be downloaded from the official stores and from the operator website. For example, in the Google Play Store (Android), you search for “WhatsApp” and confirm the installation. After the download your WhatsApp starts over the new displayed icon.
The download of the program file for Android, Symbian and Blackberry is also available via the official website of WhatsApp. It downloads the program package, and after the confirmation of the finished download can be seen on the display, this package can be opened and installed.
Is WhatsApp like Chatting at ICQ and Co.?
Yes, WhatsApp is like chatting, except that you do not have to sign up for a program anymore to be online. Online activity is also not being used as actively as in messenger services. Anyone can be contacted at any time, as long as the Internet connection exists.
So WhatsApp is like a chat client, except that the recipient is bound to a phone number and will only receive messages on one device.
Which WhatsApp alternatives are there?
Threema is one of the best-known WhatsApp alternatives. But there is also the open source app signal. Other alternatives can be found here.
Why is WhatsApp free? And why is no advertisement displayed?
WhatsApp used to cost around one euro. After the takeover by Facebook , the service was free but also international. Exceptions exist if you are not logged in to a Wi-Fi network. Then the messenger consumes certain amounts of data, which consume your Internet data volume, which you have booked with your mobile phone provider.
The former developers and Facebook have so far decided against advertising in WhatsApp. But that does not have to stay that way: it’s quite likely that WhatsApp will soon be displaying personalized ads on their smartphones.
Are you using WhatsApp status?
With WhatsApp status, pictures and videos can be shared with friends 24 hours a day. After that they will be deleted automatically. We want to know: Do you use this function?
Write us in the comments or share the article. We look forward to your opinion – and of course you are welcome to follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.