Windows 10 was offered for free by Microsoft for one year for upgrade. However, you can still upgrade your software without having to buy anything. In the following we show you how to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 for free.
Get Windows 10 for free – how it works
As of January 14, 2020 Windows 7 will not provide any support and therefore no security patches for the normal users. In the following we will show you how you can still upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free.
- Download the Media Creation Tool from the official Microsoft Windows 10 page.
- Start the program after the download and wait until the preparations are completed.
- Now you can choose whether you want to install the upgrade on the respective computer or transfer the data to a USB stick. This allows you to start the software on another computer and upgrade to Windows 10 there.
- Then press “Next” to start the installation process.
- After that you have to choose again whether the upgrade should be done on this or on another computer. Confirm it with a click on “Next”.
- An upgrade on this computer will now check the compatibility of the system being used.
- Now Windows 10 is ready for installation, which you confirm by clicking on “Install”.
- In the last step, you then have to choose which data should remain and be transferred.
- After successfully installing Windows 10, you may need to re-enter the product key from your previous system.
- These can be found on the packaging of the operating system. Some laptops and PCs can also be found on the bottom or on the case.
- After successful activation, Windows 10 is fully installed and ready for use.
Also Read: how to transfer photos from phone to computer
On some tablets, Windows 10 runs in so-called S-mode. What this is all about and where the difference between S-Mode and the regular Windows 10 is, we explain in the next article.