If you want to reset Windows 10 to factory settings on your computer or laptop, there are two ways and a good alternative. We’ll show you how it’s done.
Reset Windows 10 completely to factory settings
The most comfortable way is to reset Windows 10 via the settings. This requires the installation of Windows to be on a separate partition. This is the case with most computers.
- Open the Windows settings with the key combination [Windows] + [i].
- Under the category “Update and Security” you will find the entry “Recovery” on the left side.
- Click on “Get started” under “Reset this PC”.
- In the next step, you can decide whether your personal documents should also be deleted. If not, select the “Keep My Files” option.
- A list of all data will be displayed, which will be deleted on reset. Note that this also includes installed updates. Finally, click on “Reset”.
- The process can take several minutes to hours. Be sure to wait until Windows has completed the reset.
Reset via Media Creation Tool
Alternatively, you can reset Windows 10 using the free Media Creation tool.
- Download and install the program .
- Then start the tool and follow the instructions to create an installation medium.
- Afterwards you can directly start the re-installation (reset) of Windows 10.
- There you can choose whether you want to keep your personal data and apps during the re-installation.
- Wait until the restore is complete. Windows will restart automatically.
Also Read: how to fix windows 10 error 0x80070643
Reinstall Windows 10 via ISO
If the instructions in the first few paragraphs do not work, you can reinstall Windows 10 using an ISO file. However, all your data will be lost.
- First, download the Windows 10 installation file . This is in ISO format.
- If your system is still stable, simply start the installation by double-clicking on the ISO file.
- Otherwise, the file can be installed via USB stick, external hard disk or DVD. How this works, we show you in this article .
In the next practical tip, we will show you how to repair a defective USB stick .